Tuesday, January 13, 2009

2009 season Goals

Sometime in my early youth I decided to trade in all the various traditional sports that kids play from one season to the next and start swimming year round instead. First off, my older sister was already a swimmer, so naturally I wanted to be like her. Secondly, I just wasn't really cut out for the other sports. I was the kid who was afraid of the ball, plus I rather small and didn't necessarily excel at those other sports and was always one of the last ones to get picked on the play ground. But swimming was great. The only real competition was with yourself. Of course there would be swim meets from time to time, but really the time I was always trying to beat was my own. Swim practice was held every single night of the week and the winter nights were amazing. There were no balls to worry about or team mates to let down. If I skimped on an effort (or faked the occasional headache), the only one I was cheating was myself.
In any case, one evening with my family the subject of goals came up and I announced the only goal that seemed worthy of being called a goal and that was to go to the Olympics for the breaststroke (Keep in mind that my coach happened to be a silver medalist in the 100 meter breast stroke). It seemed like the only goal worthy of being called a goal and the natural progression of things... Why wouldn't I want that? Plus there were also several older athletes who had been to the Olympic qualifiers so it wasn't like it was this unattainable lofty goal. It was definitely achievable.
I never made it to the Olympics... My interest in Swimming slowly petered out over time. And in all reality I probably never could've made the Olympics. But that is what I beleive dreams and goals are all about. Strive for perfection, settle for progress. Think big or go home. So with that I present my Goal list for the 2009 Race Season:

1. Win every single race I enter
- to support this goal I will simply attempt to be the the first one accross the line on the final lap of every race I enter.
-Please note that I consider a win for my team a win for me. So, when placed in a position where a team mate is more posed to win I will provide a lead out so fierce as to shatter the rest of the field leaving only said team mate in my wake who will easily come around me for the big V.
-At least one third of my wins should be solo off the front.
2. Officially become the worlds fastest Cat 3 racer
-This one is as easy as it sounds
3. Go with every single break that happens 20 minutes after the start of the race
- This is also just as easy as it sounds
4. Become the most feared rider in the Cat 3 peleton
- For this little doozie of a goal I will attack off the front on every break I am in that gets caught and ride in my usual nut zipper fashion ;)
5. Destroy Matt Dubberly in a way that causes such shame and demoralization so great that he hangs up his bike for good and makes a solemn vow to never ride again
-This will be my greatest challenge by far, for M Dub is a formidable opponent indeed. Perhaps if burritos are on the line I can summon the 'Hammer' within.
6. Continue to suck the marrow out of cycling, enjoy all it has to offer and watch the positive influence that it has on my lifestyle increase in way that is truly miraculous.
-when it comes down it I guess I love everything about the sport... from the the accessibility to the pro ranks, to the fierce competition at the amateur level, to the dedication that the training requires, to the pain, to the endorphins, to the technology, to the blood sweat and tears that it demands of all who undertake it.


Oh yeah, guess what came in the mail today...

I guess this means boomshakalaka!



In other news today was the first day I was able to ride home from work with out full blown leg and arm warmers, neoprene booties, and two pairs of gloves. In fact I rode home with little more then arm warmers (probably an over kill) and a back pack. It was a cool 68 degrees at 5:50 this evening.

Oh yeah... I love Santa Barbara Winters ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make 'em suck wheel. Wow, way to put it out there. Good Luck!

Marco Fanelli said...

Chesta-san,

You'll probably find some willing volunteers to help you with #5... hahaha

IE sprinter said...

Chester, looking forward to racing with you again this year....Check out my blog I have a the La Mirada Cat 4 race we did together last year, may give you a different perspective....

iesprinter.blogspot.com

See you on the road, couldn't miss you last year with that yellow bike of yours!

Dave

Steve Weixel said...

His bike is white now...