Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mother Teresa would have been 100 years old today!


The following is a letter I sent to some members of my immediate family. About 4 months or so ago I started sending an email to a small group of people in my immediate family and some friends. The email was simply a quote from the Dalai Lama that I happened to read that day. I got uninspired and the emails dwindled when I realized that the Dalai Lama published a daily tweet to the same end. Even though most of the people who I emailed are not savvy to tweets it still seemed a little silly. I think my new goal is rather then bombard them with emails I will wait until there is something particularly inspiring that I run across. I think it is more meaningful that way and also more minimal. Minimal is good, especially when it comes to email...




Enjoy:
-----------------
“It is easy to love the people far away. It is not always easy to love those close to us. It is easier to give a cup of rice to relieve hunger than to relieve the loneliness and pain of someone unloved in our own home. Bring love into your home for this is where our love for each other must start” – Mother Teresa

The poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. We must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty. – Mother Teresa

“Everybody today seems to be in such a terrible rush, anxious for greater developments and greater riches and so on, so that children have very little time for their parents.

Parents have very little time for each other, and in the home begins the disruption of peace of the world” – Mother Teresa

The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread. – Mother Teresa

--
I pulled all of these quotes from a wonderful article written about some lessons that we could learn from Mother Teresa and some of the ways in which she touched the world. This article was particularly inspiring to me this afternoon. It is always is amazing to see examples of how boundless and expansive love is. We are all very lucky to get to live and experience life as Humans and it is not an experience to miss. It is people like Mother Teresa who remind me of that. She is the same as you and I: we all have the same capabilities in regards to our ability to cultivate peace.

Love,
Chester

No comments: